Traffic Sign FAQ
Should I buy Non-Reflective or Reflective finish signs?
Non-reflective signs are more economical than reflective signs. However, they do not offer the same level of night time visibility when illuminated by automobile headlights. If you feel night time visibility is important, we recommend a reflective sign. Reflectivity is also recommended if the signs are to be located on public roadways.
Why aren’t all signs offered in both Non-Reflective and Reflective finishes?
Signs used in certain applications such as traffic movement, in which night time visibility is critical, are only offered in a reflective finish.
Should I buy a U-Channel post or an Econo U-Channel post?
If you are going to mount a small sign such as a 12″ x 6″ or 12″ x 12″ no higher than four feet off the ground you can use the Econo U-Channel post. However, for sign sizes 12″ x 18″ or larger that need to be mounted four to seven feet above ground level we recommend the regular U-channel post.
How is a U-Channel post set into the ground?
Our U-channel mounting posts are designed to be driven into the ground with the aid of a post pounder or sledge hammer. An optional post pounding cap is also available to protect the top of the post from the impact damage of the sledge hammer. One end of each post is tapered so that it will drive into the ground slightly easier. It is recommended that 18″ to 24″ of the post’s length be driven into the ground. Please note that U-channel posts are not designed to be driven into concrete or other hard surfaces.
How does a sign attach to a U-Channel post?
To mount a sign to a U-channel post simply place the 5/16″ bolts through the top and bottom holes of the sign and corresponding post holes with the sign against the widest side of the U-channel post. Place the supplied washers on the bolts and tighten the nuts to secure the sign to the post.
Are the bolts, washers and nuts supplied with all sign orders?
Because of the different styles of hardware needed to accommodate the wide variety of surfaces, posts and brackets to which signs are typically mounted, we don’t supply mounting hardware with orders that only consist of signs. However, orders for signs that include U-channel posts, cast-iron pedestal bases or sign mounting brackets will include the proper hardware for mounting.
How can I mount a sign to a post that is not a U-Channel post?
In our Accessories section we offer two different styles of mounting brackets that are designed to mount signs to posts other than U-channel posts. To figure out which bracket you will need, measure the post that will be used for mounting.
What makes ImageLOC® a “green” product?
The ImageLOC® manufacturing process utilizes no solvents, formaldehydes or other chemicals known to cause environmental or human health concerns. Unlike all other sign technologies which print their signs on paper, ImageLOC® images are printed directly onto our proprietary organic coating, increasing its resistance to UV fading. Further, it is printed on solid aluminum, the most recycled metal in the world. The clear top coat is also organic and is fused to the base coating and aluminum utilizing a proprietary fusing process.
Why do ImageLOC® sign graphics appear more vivid and brighter than HPL?
ImageLOC® signs are printed on our proprietary white organic coating, rather than paper which changes the sharpness of the image. HPL manufacturers cover the image with layers of phenolic resin which further mutes the image. ImageLOC® has a proprietary clear coat that is applied and fused with the ink and base coat, creating a hydrophobic barrier that protects the graphics without muting them.
What thicknesses are available?
The most popular thickness of ImageLOC® signs is .125”. Unlike HPL, ImageLOC® at this thickness is structural, requiring no additional back plates or support. ImageLOC® is also available in other thicknesses, ranging from .032 to .250 inches. At .032 inches thick, ImageLOC® signs can be contour-fit to such curved objects as light poles or concrete walls.
What is the maximum panel size I can order?
ImageLOC® panels are available in sizes up to 48 inches wide and 120 inches in length. Larger wall mural displays can be created by tiling panels together.
What are the mounting options with ImageLOC®?
- Stainless steel threaded stud embedded into the back of ImageLOC® – Threaded studs are embedded and epoxy-glued into the back of the sign, providing a secure, invisible mechanism to attach the sign to a pedestal stand, wall, mounting plate, etc.
- Through-holes – Holes are pre-drilled into the panels for a secure mechanical mounting of the sign.
- Framed/exhibit bases – Gopher Sign internally designs and manufactures a wide variety of exhibit bases to facilitate any type of mounting, including cantilever bases, pedestals, wall-mounts, upright displays, rail-mount displays, kiosks and more. These exhibit systems are manufactured out of aluminum alloy materials that are highly resistant to corrosion. Options include in-ground mounting in cement, in-ground mounting using stability fins without cement, foot plates that can be bolted-down to a cement pad, skid-mount signs where mobility is required, etc. All exhibit stands are powder-coated internally in our facilities.
What finishing options are available?
- Double-sided signs – ImageLOC® signs can be printed on both sides with the same image, creating a spare sign that can be flipped over and used if vandals ever seriously damage the front side of the sign. We provide this at a fraction of the cost of a new sign.
- Contour-cut shapes, radius corners, custom mounting holes, etc. – We offer a wide variety of finishing options to enhance the impact of your signs.
- 3D sign options – We offer the ability to create three-dimensional signs to increase the visual impact of the sign.
- Interactive doors, slides, buttons, etc. – We offer options to pre-cut and mount interactive elements onto your signs to provide higher impact.
- Signs with integrated audio capability – Enhance the impact of your signs by creating additional audio content that can be accessed at the sign.
- Embedding the sign into substrates – Gopher Sign can embed ImageLOC® signs into weather-resistant HDPE material, MDO board or other material for added impact.
What file format do I use to upload my files?
We ask that all graphics be converted to PDF format prior to uploading into the Gopher Art Portal (GAP). See our Prepress Guidelines document in the section entitled PDF Documents/Videos.
How graffiti-resistant is ImageLOC®?
ImageLOC® has a hydrophobic top coating that is highly resistant to graffiti penetration. Rather, graffiti sits on top of the coating where it can be safely and easily removed with Graffiti Zap™ or other compatible cleaning fluids. (See PDF document entitled Cleaning Instructions on ImageLoc Signs-021214).
How vandal resistant is ImageLOC®?
The top coating on ImageLOC® was designed to provide resistance to scratching, cigarette burns, graffiti and more… but no sign is vandal-proof. If vandals are intent on destroying a sign, they can do it regardless of what type of sign you purchase. Talk to your ImageLOC® representative about ways to protect yourself against malicious vandalism.